Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Political Correctness?

So in many of our scenarios we discuss, fictional countries are usually used to avoid offending any particular country, person, or constituency. The two countries State favors are Ruritania and Anthuria, which pretty much hate each other but are too broke to go to war with each other.

Strangely enough, these don't roll off the tongue very well (especially for me, who has difficulty with back-to-back rs in words... can't say rural to save my life), so a variety of stand-ins have emerged that speakers prefer to use. No one seems to like my usual term Ethniklashistan, with Ickistan, Carjackistan, and Outbackistan being the preferred locations with less-than-stellar governments. There seems to be some sort of a common thread to these names, but i can't quite put my finger on it...

5 comments:

  1. When I say you're going to Ethniklashistan I get the look that says, "That must be part of that whole Soviet break-up thing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,
    You look so dressed up -- so professional. Clearly you are making the transition well. I do hope you watch out for the wolves....
    I think you friend here S. S. is struggling over events in his home country. I suspect he misses having you to talk to. Best, RLC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah:

    You look much better in a Starbucks outfit and 20 earrings in your ears. I guess we all need to grow-up one of these days. Actually it is cool that you are doing what you want to do. You'd make a great Secretary of State during Hillary's second term in office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...yeah, it seems like they would come up with something better than those names. We do a lot of hypotheticals in law school and the names are almost always tongue-in-cheek....

    ReplyDelete