Sunday, April 06, 2008

Springtime in DC

I've been telling people for several months that this is definitely the city where I was meant to live. The concentration of political activity, job opportunity, international culture, green space, and tolerable weather makes it perfect for me. Many of you have seen the hell I go through every year with my allergies, but thus far in DC I've been problem-free, even when wandering around the Mall and the tidal basin taking photos of flowers. It's a blessed relief. Anyway, here are some of my favorites from the Cherry Blossom Fest.






3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful. I always remember Washington, D.C., to be a cold and ghostly expanse of concrete, where nothing grows naturally. Perhaps that's because the only three times I've been there have been during the winter and at night.

    Thanks for showing me the softer, gentler side of our nation's capital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos, thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to ask--what's a good Ethiopian place in DC? Here in F-town/nam/ville we can't even get good Indian food! I have nothing but good memories of DC. If you haven't been, you should try the Native Foods Cafe in the American Indian Museum. I drove through DC late one night in January, when you were having some unseasonably warm weather, road my bike around to some monuments and even saw "The Awakening" one last time before its move. Can't wait to go back sometime, great city

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ben - Absolutely! DC's spring is really lovely. The place is crawling with flowers by the roadways and green space everywhere. I'm having a great time, it makes me so happy! Should you decide you need to see DC in a better atmosphere, you know where to stay!

    @Randal - Queen Makeda (http://queenmakedadc.com) is my favorite by far. It's one of many Ethiopian restaurants on its block, but it's got a great atmosphere and excellent food, reasonably priced. I and three friends got out tonight with a bill of $32 before tip. Can't beat it! I recommend Doro Wat, Yebeg Alicha, and Awaze Tibs.

    ReplyDelete