Friday, October 03, 2008

More Jahiliyya on the Internet

Skype is a wonderful tool. I just finished an hour-long conversation with my mother, and as long as I pay $4 a month, I can continue to have such conversations to any US number without impediment or any additional charges. Skype's used for more than just keeping in touch with family and friends, of course. You can use it like the yellow pages, you can use it to send text messages to mobile phones, and unsurprisingly, you can also use it for racier purposes, but surely that wouldn't occur here in Saudi Arabia, right?

One of the tabs on the program's window allows you to search for local addresses and phone numbers, and the system has auto-detected that I am in Saudi Arabia. The program helpfully provides the most popular keywords for the country, which I have translated below. (Repeat keywords have the same meaning in English but are synonyms in Arabic.)

Restaurant. Getting to know someone. Love. Love. Girls. Sex. Saudi [in English]. Friendship. Girl. I love. Company. Riyadh. I. Love [in English]. Sex. My father. Friendship only. Getting to know someone. Getting to know someone.

1 comment:

  1. i love this post and the sadness and the hope and the goodness and the universality and the humanity that's all inside of it. -candace.

    ReplyDelete