Wednesday, May 26, 2010

See You Soon, DC

Last day in Washington - I fly in a few hours.  In keeping with my tradition of the last few years, I'm getting a haircut on my way to the airport.  (I admit: I'm afraid of getting it cut overseas.  I can barely explain what I want my hair to do in English, much less in a foreign language.)  Pretty much everything I needed to do except get my car shipped has been done, and luckily I have friends who are more responsible than I to help with the logistics on that once I leave.  How would any of us survive moving every two to three years if it weren't for our friends, who mail us things that don't fit in our suitcases, take the half-empty bottles of ketchup and vodka from our refrigerators, and sort out the piles of crap before the movers arrive?

Last night I and a few friends went to my favorite pre-departure place in DC: the back side of the Lincoln Memorial.  For the past few years, every time one of us departs Washington for an extended period of time, we've wandered down to sit behind Abe late at night, where we watch road and air traffic, look at the lights of Virginia and the dark of Arlington Cemetery, and revel in having our own little piece of DC to ourselves.  No photos, because the lighting wasn't right, and the moment wasn't either.  It's just a nice way to remember my last day in DC: swinging our feet off the marble wall, holding hands and telling old jokes.

I'm off on a new adventure, but this is still home, because of all of the people I love here.  See you soon, DC.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck! It's always so strange to touch down in a new place and call it home. Good call on the haircut - those always end badly the first few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels to the best daughter a Mumsy could ever ask for. ILyB & ILB2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're waving goodbye to you from Fairfax! What a touching, bittersweet post.

    Can't wait to see what it's like on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! I can't wait to hear from you in Istanbul. Safe, pleasant, and speedy travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the most serene and transcendent moments of my life was at the Lincoln Memorial, albeit the front...best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Local police are searching for a 'Sagrav Knarf' aka 'Fransqisco' aka "Franciqso' aka 'The Jackal' after security tapes reveal his illicit activities at 38°53′21.48″N 77°3′0.44″W on Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time I visited Abe, the snow was falling hard. I'm guessing you had much nicer weather. By now you should already be in Istanbul, how's it going so far?

    @J - Somebody's been cruising Wikipedia, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like this post was tailor made for me! Right before I read it, I worked on Turkish for an hour, then looked through a few pictures I took from the back of the Lincoln Memorial (woefully undeappreciated).

    Thanks for an excellent post, and iyi sanslar. I'd say kolayi gelsin, but we both know that's not true...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice sendoff. It feels like camping, but in the middle of DC.
    I miss getting my hair cut in Istanbul! It took charades and faith, but the attention to detail is like whoa. It feels lame in the States after that, so I think you'll like it when you try it.
    Glad you and Beej made it to Istanbul safely,
    Kendine iyi bak!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been reading your blog since you restarted it and am enjoying it. Best of luck in Istanbul, one of my favorite cities! I can't wait to read your first impressions and see your pictures. I hope we get posted there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck!! Looking forward to reading your adventures in Istanbul. :)

    ReplyDelete