Monday, June 28, 2010

Full Moon Fever

I've gone through four versions of this post, and eventually I decided that the best information in some cases is no information at all.  Through no fault of anyone, I had a pretty crappy evening of the type that makes you want to curl into a ball and apologize for everything you've ever done wrong.  When I sat down at my computer to Skype my mom and cry, I looked out my window and saw the almost-full moon rising over the Bosphorus, with a few wispy clouds floating near the moon.

My great-aunt Sally always used to call this a buttermilk moon, because the full moon lights up the clouds like bright white milk in the sky.  I wish she had lived to see me take this job - I think I got the itch to travel from her.  But now, when all I need is a hug from a loved one, and my nearest family member is 6,000 miles away, I feel like I got my hug tonight.

11 comments:

  1. so sorry you are feeling down. You are still adjusting to a brand new place and it surely takes time. Thanks so much for the kind comments on my blog, and hope tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a crappy day! Tomorrow is bound to be better. We don't really know each other but, here's a virtual hug coming your way. Hope it helps you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's your very big hug from 6000 miles away. Sal would certainly be very proud of you and would be asking me how/why in the hell I let you go "so damned far away"? And then the dirty jokes would begin, right?

    I think I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke.

    ILyB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how these days can be, and even though we haven't met yet, here's a big virtual hug from Texas. I hope your day tomorrow goes better than today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you are having a rough time. Remember that the Beej is always there to sharpen his claws on your fleece - not exactly a hug, but close!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you had a crappy day. Glad you got your "hug" from the buttermilk moon. Hoping tomorrow is MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had a down day :( Hope you are feeling better soon. I remember going on R&R once when our kids were very little. My daughter (about 3yo) was worried, nervous, etc. about the travel. She'd grown.. not a baby anymore, but not a big girl yet. We left our house to go to the airport, and spotted the moon. It followed us all the way to the airport. She was so thrilled when we got to the US and we found that the moon had come on vacation with us, and you better believe she made sure it returned home again too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, I've seen my fair share of buttermilk-esque "moons," and none have been as pretty as you've described. Hope you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone - today was much better. Gotta have a bad day sometimes to balance out all the good ones I have been having here.

    And Mumsy, you're right - Aunt Sally would have given me a big hug, told me she loved me, and then demanded that I make her a three-boot drink. I miss the old coot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too, babe. "One boot or two, Sal?" How many times did we hear that?

    I'm glad you've had a better day. And thanks to all of the DoS friends for propping up my only child. She's the best but I may be a bit partial!

    ILyB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for the low day, but glad you are feeling better. Thanks for the comment; we have begun to realize that a summer without a visit to Chincoteague/Assategue just isn't a summer!

    ReplyDelete