Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How Not to Unpack Your HHE

So my HHE has been sitting around since its arrival 10 days ago, waiting to be stored in nooks and crannies.  "Love me, unpack me and put me in my own special drawer!" each box seemed to cry.  Realizing that there was just too much to attack in hour-long increments in the evenings after work, I decided that last weekend would be the best time to devote to figuring out where to put all of my stuff.  And it's a lot - some things I never bothered to unpack in Riyadh (winter coats, long-sleeved shirts, extra linens), so many of these boxes I haven't seen since I graduated in 2007 (age alert!!).  On Saturday, I channeled the spirit of General Pickett and attacked the piles of mess head-on, with about as much success as he had.  The piles of crap sustained significant damage, but any semblance of victory on my part is Pyrrhic, as I dropped a shelf from a chest-of-drawers on my left foot and broke a bone.

The plus side: The break isn't serious enough to require a cast or even a boot; just careful handling and icing for a few weeks.  An excuse to wear "business casual" at work for a week or two (khakis and tennis shoes, hellooooo comfort).  An excuse to get out of heavy lifting in the office for a while - this certainly preempts me from organizing the 4th of July event for 2011, right?  Acquiring amusing nicknames, like Gimpy and Peg Leg.

The minus side: I broke a freaking bone!  Not badly, but still.  Being the neurotic planner that I am (as my coworkers can attest) I'm looking three decades in the future and seeing horrific, crippling arthritis in my left foot.

Oh well.  It could have been a lot worse.  Plus, today I got final approval from our budget people to go to this event this weekend, which is totally awesome.  (Scaling the cliff face will be fun with the foot, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.)

11 comments:

  1. now you took organizing to a whole new level. I'm impressed. Seriously, though, sorry you got hurt and glad it's not worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe toe shoes would help your foot heal faster?! *gasp*

    First the falling down on your bum, then the foot (age alert!!)... Feel better soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say, gracefulness has never been my strong suit! =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a great time this weekend!

    I am sorry about your foot and the impending arthritis. Kind of a bummer. However, congrats on the business casual attire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blame it on me. You're about as graceful as your mother. Mend quickly...Katelyn and I will be there soon and I'll be damned if I'm pushing you in a wheelchair. That's your job when I'm a year or two older.
    ILyB, M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouchie! Love the sympathy (or lack thereof) from your mom. Hopefully you do get the rest of the mess tackled soon and are feeling better. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, ouch was my first thought, too! And here I was, all ready to tackle my HHE tonight. On second thought, maybe a glass of wine and a good movie would be much safer....

    Have fun this weekend and please share photos if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes- HHE is dangerous!! Hope your toe heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am suppose to comment for Joel, "I hope your foot feels better". Good luck! Let us know if anything stateside would make it feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Shannon - We have a long history of blowing off injuries in my family! When I was 7 I fell off my bed (total of 12 inches) and complained that I hurt my arm. My mother scolded me and said I shouldn't have been wearing my shoes on the bed in the first place. Turns out, I was sent home from school early the next day, because I had actually fractured my arm. Despite all contra-indicators, my mother is wonderful - as long as I'm not whining about pain!

    @Jen - Funny, you nailed the exact treatment I used on Monday night, after I got back from the doctor!!

    @Stef/Joel - thanks y'all!! Just send some cool weather, I know you have lots to go around in DC. Also - come visit plsthxbai. It's the perfect place for camera folk...

    ReplyDelete