Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Magic of Google Reader

So it is probably apparent that I'm moderately obsessed with new media tools - not necessarily things like Facebook and Twitter, but how people use blogs to communicate, how blogs change the way news is researched and reported, and how our media consumption changes based on the technology we use.  One of my favorite tools is Google Reader, which allows me to keep up with disparate sites that update irregularly - only one place to watch, instead of many.  This dovetails nicely with the tight-knit but geographically scattered FS community... it makes it easier for me to keep track of y'all!

I'm starting to experiment with some of the advanced tools in Reader, and one of the things I've done is create a bundle of all the FS blogs I know about (284 total [stealth update - 285, given Digger's recent post {stealthier stealth edit: not keeping count anymore, as I just found another new one in the comments}]).  Not all are currently active, but I don't want to dump them in the event that they do rise from the dead in the future.  If you're interested in following this, you can subscribe at this link.  (If you're using another RSS feed, I'm not sure I can help you, sorry!)  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Bravo! I have a pack of FS blogs that I read, though for mental clutter's sake, I keep them to the folks I know personally. For any blog-reading dip. though, this is fantastic! Long live you. And google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Reader is great. It makes life nice and easy. Funny, I clicked on the link and at that moment, my post was at the top. shazam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hannah for this! While I wait for my security clearance to process, I've been stalking plenty of FSO blogs to vicariously live your exciting experiences :) Hope you're enjoying Istanbul, I loved my year there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input, people - and if you find one I've missed, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it! 



    Here is the link:

 http://cyberbones.blogspot.com/2010/09/weekly-round-up.html

    If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you please also contact me. Thanks! 


    ReplyDelete
  6. Woop, what a great tool! I use to FS Blogregator, but it seems like its blogroll is slightly out of tune with the ones I actually follow...very EFM heavy, and as much as I love to see pics of people's growing kids every day, it's really not what I'm going for. Also, the person who runs it reported getting $45,000 or so for running it...not sure how I feel about that? Hope to stay in touch with the reader :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in this week's FS RoundUp. I know Shannon linked here last week, but it was a good roundup for the RoundUp! If you want out, please let me know: http://emailfromtheembassy.blogspot.com/2010/09/weekly-roundup-sponsored-by-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use iGoogle too, which is tabbed. I have all my news on one tab, all blogs on another. I also use the reader. Thank you so much for compiling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are officially a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Added another batch of blogs to the bundle - hope it goes through for you all!

    ReplyDelete