Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FREEDOM!

Oh frabjous day, my car James Brown is finally mine again!!  Only 5.5 months after I left the States, and a mere 4 months after he departed my friend's driveway for the port in Baltimore, JB has come home to his parking space in the basement of my building!  It's been a rough process, fraught with incompetent people in Transportation, shipping delays, customs delays, registration delays, and a few more registration delays, but at 5 PM on Friday, I grabbed my keys and set off into the sunset, with the winds of freedom at my back and a massive, ten-mile-long traffic jam in front of me.  (Istanbul is like DC in this way...  the slightest bit of rain causes everyone and their mom to break down in COMPLETE AND UTTER PANIC on the roadways.)  Luckily, in May I left my CD changer fully loaded with good music, so I had plenty of time to get through all six CDs in the two hours and change it took to get home.

The best part is that our belabored customs expeditor was so anxious to release JB to me that there wasn't time to exchange my original license plate for my diplomatic tags.  So right now, I'm be-bopping around the city with Arkansas tags!  I love it.

I got JB right before I left DC, so I didn't really get to know him all that well.  Friday I had to reacquaint myself with turning his headlights on, adjusting the seat, etc.  I also found sand in his floorboards and cupholders - a pleasant reminder of the trip to the beach at Chincoteague I took the day that I bought him.  (It was amusing, when we got to our hotel that night, I had to register my license plate with the hotel owner, and I had absolutely no idea what it was.  It didn't look suspicious at all.)

I finally feel like I'm fully settled in.  I have my books, my things, my art, and my car.  Road trips await, the American dream!

7 comments:

  1. Get on the good foot, James Brown! And many thanks to our main man, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hooray for getting your car, and the freedoms that follow.
    Traffic sounds pretty bad. However, I don't think I have ever heard of a post where the traffic is anything less than crazy, or at least some aspect of driving is.
    Anyway-congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, congratulations...nothing like that freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 28 hours from Istanbul to Warsaw. Please, please come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell, in 28 hrs. you can be in Memphis...just not in James Brown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. in honor of you and your brilliant mind, I just renamed my bike "al green", she was originally "the wicked witch", but that just didn't seem to jive. god bless for the inspiration. I LOVE IT!!!! Now when I'm pedaling for my life down Mass ave I can hum "lets stay together, ooh, loving you whether...." instead of that frantic du du du du dah dah, du du du du dah dah..... autumn in DC on my bicycle just got so much more fun! THANK YOU!!!! Give James Brown a little hip check for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like driving in Cairo!!! Now, in Amman, people might apologize for being 'out of the way.. what? 5 minutes?? pfft! After Cairo, all of Amman is NOT 'out of the way', not in the slightest! I'm happy for you and JB... welcome freedom!!

    ReplyDelete