Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Güler Yüzlü

In the past week I've gotten two similar compliments from two very different men - one the chief rabbi of Turkey, the other a cab driver from one of the faceless suburbs of Istanbul.  Both of them called me güler yüzlü, "smiling-faced."  The rabbi mentioned that every time he sees me, I have a huge smile on my face; the cab driver told me that he could tell from a few moments of "empty chatting" during my five-minute trip that I'm a happy person and that I like to laugh.

It's true.  I am happy.  The worry lines on my face have eased a bit, and I'm getting my laugh lines back again.  Trading in one set for another doesn't mean I'm getting older, does it?  It just means I'm staying the same age, right?

9 comments:

  1. Smile... but learn how to say "retinol" in Turkish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! And if you're happy, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Donna - the retinol wiki links to this as its Turkish version: http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_vitamini (retinol sayfasından yönlendirildi). Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's definitely a good sign! I'd trade worry lines for laugh lines any day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that is an awesome compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It means you are generally delightful, I think. Yes, I'm sure that's what it means :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, Brooke. She has been generally delightful for almost 26 yrs. now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's great that you're known for your smile :)

    ReplyDelete