Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Good Things in Life


Whoops, didn't make it in time for the weekly round up.  Oh well - here's my list of things for which I am thankful.

  • I am thankful for my mother, and for the chance I got to spend ten days with her last week.  We need hannah-Mumsy time at a minimum of once every six months to maintain our (relative) mental stability.
  • I am thankful for the 25 years I had with my Aunt Gail and for how close we have always been.  I am thankful that her illness was swift and that she didn’t suffer long. 
  • I am also thankful for my coworkers in Istanbul and across the world, who have been so kind and supportive of me during the last few months.  As has been said, one of the hardest parts about this job is being a continent away when family’s in poor health in the States.  Unfortunately, I understand this from personal experience…  but fortunately, everyone else does too, so when someone needs to go home on short notice, the office pulls together.  My coworkers offered to take over official visits and Congressional reports for me, two things that no one ever wants to deal with.  Seriously, I love my post.
  • I am thankful for my email group – six opinionated, strong women who have held together for over two years across 8 countries, 14 time zones, job losses, multiple break-ups, and family deaths, existing on a diet of advice, gossip, TMI, mutual celebration, and lolcat videos.
  • I am thankful for my friends in Turkey, a ragtag group of expats with amazing stories and backgrounds - former professional dog handler, a person who tried to talk his way into Saudi Arabia based solely on his Shell employee ID, a thoughtful anarchist working for a large multinational firm, and a shitton of English teachers.  Call me socially isolationist, but I like my batch of Americans-in-exile.
Hope you're all well!  I'm here...  more updates to follow later in the day.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about your aunt. So glad that you were able to go back. It sounds like you have a great group of family and friends all over the world. Makes all the difference. Hope the rest of your holidays are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I am very thankful for you. It was a good visit except...
    ILyB

    ReplyDelete