Thursday, June 02, 2011

How to Be Romantic at State

Hey guys, how's it been?  It's been like a month, yeah?  I could offer lame reasons for why I haven't written, but who cares, right?  Excuses are like noses...  we all have them, and they all smell.  (Do you see how cleverly I made that G-rated?)

So how about some good news, eh?  Throughout the course of recent months, it's become more and more apparent that Eric and I get along well.  So well, in fact, that his roommate Serdar didn't see him for a few weeks at a time.  And this summer, Eric is interning at the Consulate, which is A) far closer to where I live than where he lives and B) easy to reach if he commutes with me every day.  In the interest of full disclosure, Eric applied for this internship before I ever met him, and he was selected as an intern before anyone in that section knew we were dating.  Also, he's not in my section.  Enough caveats?  Probably not, because with the advent of Eric sort of staying here permanently (toothbrush, suits, and all the books for his thesis are in this apartment), I started to feel a little panicky.  Like any good bureaucrat, I realized that I hadn't filed enough paperwork to make his almost-living-with-me status legit.

I'd like to say that I did something really romantic here, but I just emailed Eric from work and asked, "Wanna be my MOH?"  Now, for people in State, that's your cue to say, "Awwwww!"  For the rest of you sane people out there, let me offer you the definition of an MOH as laid out in the Foreign Affairs Manual (exact citation 3 FAM 7121):

Member of household (MOH):  An individual who accompanies a sponsoring employee, i.e., a direct-hire Foreign Service, Civil Service, or uniformed service member who is permanently assigned to or stationed abroad at a U.S. mission, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan, and who is under chief of mission authority.  An MOH is: 


(1) Not an EFM; and 
(2) Not on the travel orders or approved Form OF-126, Foreign Service Residence and Dependency Report, of the sponsoring employee; and 
(3) Officially declared by the sponsoring U.S. Government employee to the COM as part of his or her household. 


An MOH may be a parent, unmarried partner, or other relative or adult child who falls outside the Department’s current definition of eligible family member.  An MOH may or may not be a U.S. citizen.

The memo's been filed through security, management, and protocol in Istanbul and Ankara, and the Ambassador signed off on it today.  So there you have it: Eric's officially an acronym!

13 comments:

  1. congrats on acquiring an MOH! (I think that is the technical and much-hated verb used...) And I actually did say "awww" before reading your next sentence. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I got my MOH by virtue of the new policy. Best. Day. Ever. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww....Congratulations! It's a big day when you get your first acronym.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, a new MOH! Congrats. You can register at Crate and Barrel now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww, how exciting! You two love birds look so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone! It's been visit insanity in Istanbul for the last six weeks - including my MOH in-laws staying a week at my place (the first meeting, no less!). I've got 1000+ FS blog posts to go through today, but it's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did totally say Awww. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete