Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wedding Bands

Quick update before we hop on a plane and fly away from Istanbul.  I'm (unsurprisingly) procrastinating on my final writing tasks before we leave, but I wanted to put this out here: being married is awesome.

Yes yes, I know I've only been that way for a few weeks.  But Eric and I survived our first joint packout today, and it was about as painless as one can expect such an endeavor to be.  In the past few days, as we've packed up our lives, whenever I'd start to panic, he'd calm me down...  and vice versa.  We just got back from a ten-day road trip around the Turkish Aegean coast (honeymoon #1), and you know it's a good relationship when you can spend time with no one else for so long, reading quietly or talking easily, driving and stopping when you see a cozy place to have a coffee break and play a hand of cards.  Life just feels so comfortable with Eric.

I never wanted to post pictures of my engagement ring, because that seems ostentatious for me.  (No slight to those who do that - it's just not my style.)  But I can't stop staring at the wedding band snuggled up against my engagement ring, thinking about what it means and the words we said at our wedding.  Even though I wrote the CG's speech (our officiant!) two days before the wedding, and my vows the night before, I can't imagine anything more perfect, more meaningful for us, than to share our love with our friends and coworkers in the city where we fell in love.

On Friday morning Eric and I fly out for home leave in Arkansas, which will actually be our first time in the US together.  I can't wait for this next step in our lives.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww...happy people make me happy. Congrats! Maybe you guys can visit when we're neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweetly stated. Have a safe trip and lots of fun adventures as you start married life together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we can't wait for you and Eric to arrive. When you and Eric are happy, all parents are happy.

    ReplyDelete