Monday, June 04, 2012

Changes

In four days, Eric will be on a plane to Istanbul, where he'll wait until EFM positions open up for application in Tripoli.  Even after they open up, and even if he's hired, it will still take some time for all necessary clearances and travel orders, etc, to be issued.  We don't know how long it will be before we see each other again - part of the reason he's going to Istanbul (rather than staying in the US) is that it will be easier for me to slip away for a weekend to see him there, but we don't know how often I'll be able to get away, if at all.  And we don't know how long it will take for family positions to open up in Tripoli.  So I'm a little neurotic...  we've been apart before, but not for more than a few weeks and always with a definite return flight in sight.

Pardon me for being a bit selfish, but the worst is that he is leaving before I am - for some reason, it seems like it would be easier for me if I waved goodbye, got on a plane, sobbed for 12 hours, then arrived at post and started working.  Now I'll be here, brushing up my Arabic and repacking my suitcases while I wait for my visa to come through.  (Still no idea how long that will take.)

Grump grump grump.  At least I'm staying with a dear friend who's promised to smack me with a cooking spoon if I get to be too mopey.

Eric and I are talking about creative ways to stay in touch while we're separated - more than just Skype and emails.  He's very sneakily used this separation and then the tour in Libya as evidence why he needs an iPad (video chat! easy to travel with!).  Eric's trying to get back on the blogging bandwagon, so we've added him to this account - you may see posts from him in the near future.  (Right, Eric?  You're going to write more when you're in Istanbul, aren't you?)  We've invested in phones that will allow us to have unlimited international texting, and we're also building photo albums for each other.

Four days to go.

2 comments:

  1. I bought my husband an iPad for his birthday and it is great for video chatting. We're going in 16 months apart, but only have 3 more to go! Don't get discouraged, time flies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about leaving first. It's always so hard to see you walk away through security and down the concourse to your departing plane.

    ReplyDelete