Saturday, July 20, 2013

My own little mezuzah

Back at work - it's busy as hell, but I love the issues and the people I work with.  I'm sandwiched between the Syria and Egypt teams, so there's no shortage of work and bustle in my office.  I'm enjoying it.

I've finally gotten to the point where I can walk past the memorial wall in the main entrance hall at State without crying - the first month was hard, but I'm okay now.  However, I can't walk through that hallway without going up to the panel and running my hand over the names of those I know.  It's not just those who died in Benghazi; I have other friends who died at post whose names are on the wall.  I don't go through the hall often, maybe once a week, but I feel like I have to do something to acknowledge those who died.  It's become my own mezuzah of sorts as I come in and out of the building.

I'll probably get to the point where I don't have to engage in this ritual.  Not there yet, though.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    I am a sophomore undergrad majoring in International Political Economy and Middle Eastern studies and I would love to hear about your career as a FSO. I am aspiring to become a FSO in the economic field in Middle Eastern emerging markets, particularly in Morocco.

    My email is ssikorski@fordham.edu

    Cheers,

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete